Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chico

I would like to introduce you to our new family member Chico. Chico is a 7 month old male purebred Havanese puppy. Our family has been searching for the right dog for a long time. Do you remember Winston? And then what happened? Well we did not want another experience like that. I would scour Petfinder and Craigslist, talk with all my dog loving friends and search shelters for the right dog. I was being picky. I wanted a move-in ready pup, you know house-trained, crate-trained and ready to hang with the family. I discovered the Havanese breed awhile back. I liked them not only because they were so cute, but for several other reasons. They are hypo-allergenic, a small breed, sturdy, great with small children and they love their families.

I found an ad on Craigslist for a 6 month old Havanese AKC who was house-trained. I emailed and requested a picture. We got some more info and went to meet him the next day. He came right to us and we fell in love. Chico was living with a family that had children and another small dog. They were unable to take care of Chico and wanted to find him a family who would love and take care of him. We went to lunch and talked it over and knew Chico met every criteria we were looking for in a dog. We brought him home that afternoon.

Since the Havanese breed originated in Cuba we decided to go with a Latin name for our new friend. Oh, I neglected to mention the previous owner's children had named him Cupcake, yes I typed Cupcake. I know, wrong on all levels. First, Greg's parents have a poodle and her name is Muffin that would be to many pastry names in the family. Secondly can you picture Greg calling out for Cupcake in the middle of the street? Hence the search for a new name. Everything from Castro to Uncle Rico was thrown into the mix. We all happily agreed upon Chico and it works perfectly for him.
What a sweet boy he has been. He loves to cuddle, have his belly rubbed and gets excited to see you. The kids adore him. Everyone who has met him just falls in love. We have found a wonderful puppy for our family!

Chico's first day with us. He was in desperate need of a doggie grooming.

No comments: